Therese R. McElwee
Therese R. McElwee
- Family Law
- Child Custody and Support
- Property Division
- Spousal Maintenance
- Post-Decree Modification Proceedings
- Prenuptial/Postnuptial Agreements
Therese McElwee has practiced exclusively in the area of Family Law since 1992. She is a partner at Schmidt McElwee & Gordon, PLLC. Ms. McElwee was admitted to practice before all Arizona state courts in 1989.
Ms. McElwee received a Bachelor of Science from Bucknell University in Lewisburg, Pennsylvania in 1986. She then attended the University of Notre Dame Law School in South Bend, Indiana and was awarded her Juris Doctor in 1989. Ms. McElwee's professional affiliations include the State Bar of Arizona, the Maricopa County Bar Association and the American Bar Association. She has served as a judge pro tempore of the Maricopa County Superior Court primarily conducting Family Court Settlement Conferences through the Alternative Dispute Resolution division.
Over the course of her career Ms. McElwee has extensive obtained experience in representing individuals in divorce and attendant family court matters. Her practice includes cases and litigation involving child custody, visitation, parenting time, decision-making authority, relocation, and child support; complex financial matters, such as cases involving business valuation, high-asset, spousal maintenance, and community vs. separate property determinations; and high conflict cases. Her practice also includes legal separation, annulments, drafting and litigating prenuptial and postnuptial agreements, maternity/paternity proceedings, and support, custody, and property modification actions.
- Notre Dame Law School, Notre Dame, Indiana
- J.D. - 1989
- Bucknell University, Lewisburg, Pennsylvania
- B.S. - 1986
- Arizona, 1989
- U.S. District Court District of Arizona, 1989
- “10 Best” Client Satisfaction Award, American Institute of Family Law Attorneys, 2016, 2017
- Super Lawyers, 2020-2021
- American Bar Association, Member
- Maricopa County Bar Association, Member
- State Bar of Arizona, Member
- Arizona State Courts, Member